Thursday, July 2, 2015

Marching on!


Another straight set victory for Maria at Wimbledon after only one hour and 5 minutes against Richel Hogenkamp of the Netherlands: 6-3, 6-1.

After the 2nd Round match, Maria said: "I didn't find the rhythm on my serve in a few of those games. I think the good thing, though, is that I regained my timing and started tossing the ball a little bit more consistently."
"Overall, it was different conditions that my first round match. The court played a lot slower. We had a lot longer rallies. I didn't get a huge advantage off the serve or the return today - I didn't serve my best - and maybe I made a few too many unforced errors. But overall, once we got into the rallies, once I realized I needed to be a little more patient, then things started working a little better for me."

"I like to make things very simple, no matter where they're from, or where my coach is from. Obviously he's known her game for quite some time. Me, not so much. I think that was a good thing."
"But like I said it's best not to overthink things. Different opponent, new court, different conditions. I think just trying to figure that out from the beginning was more important than anything else."
In Wimbledon 3rd Round, Maria will play against Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania. On head to head, Maria leads Begu: 1-0. Their only match was 3 years ago, in 2012 at Mutua Madrid Open, where Maria won in straight sets: 6-0, 6-3.

GO MARIA !!!

1 comment: